Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Justin Wilson would be proud...

Some are probably saying who in the world is that!!  He had a cooking show on years ago and is as cajun as you can get.  Man, I can still hear his voice.  I liked him so much!!  He was quite humorous, too!  Man, I miss those old cooking shows like his, Graham Kerr and Julia Child.  They were each so different and yet I at a very early age was captivated by all of them.  I can still see Graham Kerr licking his lips and when he took a bite, trust me he took a BITE it usually oozed out the sides of his mouth!!  And we all loved Julia with that precious accent of hers.  Julie and Julia is one of my favorite all time movies!  How clever she was!  My daughter gave it to me for my birthday a couple of years ago.

Okay, where was I?  Oh, yeah, Cajun Chicken, doesn't take long for me to lose my train of thought!  Well, there's nothing fat free about this recipe because of the heavy cream, but it's not like you will eat this weekly or anything like that, so please indulge yourself!!  I have had Cajun Chicken in restaurants, but homemade is always so darn much better.  Plus, this is such a simple and quick meal to make.  Probably 40 minutes tops!  I like it served over pasta (my preference penne or farfalle (bowtie), but I am sure it would be great over rice as well.  Be brave and venture outside the box on this one.  Serve it over something that you normally would never cook.  Believe it or not some people never cook farfalle!!  Not sure why they are intimidated...it's just pasta!!  I think they are afraid they will serve it undercooked.  Just test it before you remove it from its water.  If it's not done enough continue cooking for a couple of more minutes.  Pasta is tricky if you overcook it, it is nasty and gets gummy.  I would rather have no pasta at all than have it gummy.

Anxious to see if you like this one.  Let me know who tries it, okay...

Cajun Chicken and Farfalle

1 boneless/skinless chicken breast (pounded thin)
1/2 cup diced green pepper
7 scallions (tops removed) sliced thin
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP olive oil
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Luzianne Cajun Seasoning


Cut chicken into chunks or bite-size pieces and sprinkle with cajun seasoning. I would say right about a tablespoon.  Mix with the chicken chunks until coated.  Set aside.  In frying pan melt the butter with the oil and when hot drop chicken pieces in.  They will cook quickly so be sure to flip them often until juices run clear.  You don't want them to brown, just cook through.  Remove the meat from the skillet and toss in the scallions and the green pepper in the oil.  Stir for a couple of minutes and then add chicken pieces. Pour in the heavy cream and then add the basil, lemon pepper, pepper and the parmesan cheese.  At this time you can taste and adjust the Luzianne to the degree of hotness that you like.  Be sure to scrape all the tidbits that are stuck on the bottom of the skillet.  They will be easily removed at this point.  Allow this to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes over low heat uncovered  this will reduce it and the sauce thicken a bit.  Turn the fire off and cover with a lid and allow to rest.

Meanwhile, bring to boil the water for the pasta and cook to a la dente.  Strain in a colander and place pasta in serving bowls and spoon the chicken mixture over the dish.  Garnish with sliced green onion tops, fresh tomatoes and fresh grated parmesan cheese.  I serve it with a slice or two of garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment