Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Got A Sweet Tooth?...

Howdy, everyone!  The recipe today will be a treat treasured by your family for years to come.  Even after making these for the past 20 years or so I still get excited just thinking about making them!  They pack well as long as you let the frosting dry, but I am so gosh darn picky I just refuse to stack them.  It must my OCD, but the thought of messing up that pretty frosting...nope just can't do it.  I have delivered them to homes all laid out so pretty in rows so they don't touch on foil lined cookie sheets! The strong ginger flavor and the molasses in these cookies meld together so well with that smooth sugary frosting...just trust me on this one, it is heaven after the first bite.  There's no way you will be able to eat just one!

They are a great fall cookie because of the spices, I guess, but I make them all year long.  They would be great cut-out cookies, too!  I actually bought some really cute Easter cookie cutters the other day at Ross so I just might have to try them out on my little neighbors.  Speaking of neighbors, not only did we get a bonus on our house, we acquired the cutest little neighbors, too.  A boy, 7, and his precious sisters who are 5 and 2!!  I am so excited because sometimes when you live in the country kids don't always have friends to play with.  When my grandchildren move back hopefully at the end of the year they will have little friends to play with.  And they happen to be 7 and 2.  Plus, Tyler and Gabe will go to the same school!!  I see many pool parties at gigi's house next year!

Frosted Ginger Cookies

1/2 cup butter (not margarine)
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup Brer Rabbit molasses (or your brand)
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1 TBSP ground ginger
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt

Frosting:
3 cups confectionery sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla
water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large bowl beat the butter for a minute and then add the sugar.  Beat until light and fluffy then add the molasses and the egg.  Beat until blended.  Stir together the flour and all of the spices.  Add to the creamed mixture and mix well.  Cover the bowl and place in refrigerator 4 hours.  On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness.  Cut with biscuit cutter (2 or 3 inch) or cookie cutters.  Place on parchment lined baking sheets. Place in oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until middle is set.  Cool slightly and remove from baking sheet to cooling rack.  Continue with remaining cookies.  For the frosting, add powdered sugar to a bowl along with the vanilla and adding water a small amount at a time to make it of a glazing consistency.  Frost while cookie are still slightly warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment