Thursday, March 24, 2011

Disappointed...

I get so mad at myself when I wait all day to cook something to open up my cabinet and don't have what I need, grrr!  I have been craving cabbage noodles all week and finally made them tonight.  They are my husband's favorite side dish.  The disappointing part was I like to throw some poppy seeds for color at the end and I was out.  I know, why be so upset over poppy seeds your thinking.  It's just the principle I guess. To me it's like making a cake and then find out you have nothing to make frosting.

Anyways, I hope you give these a try they are quite scrumptious.  To start with you will need: a head of cabbage, 1/2 stick of butter (not margarine, never, ever, ever), 1 medium onion chopped, about 3 TBSP olive oil, salt & fresh cracked pepper and noodles. (Poppy seeds, optional)

Add the butter and the oil to a large skillet and cook the onions until they are slightly brown.  I slice my cabbage, but you can do chunks, diced, whatever you want.  When the onions are ready I toss in the cabbage, the salt and pepper to taste and give it a quick stir.  Cover the pan and this will help the cabbage cook a little faster. Be sure to stir often and get all those little brown bits off the bottom of the pan.  Man, it is really hard not to lick the spoon every time you give them a stir!  But, hey, if no one's looking I say go for it!! After they have cooked for about 8 minutes start the water for the noodles.  Be sure the water is good and salted.  Cook the noodles al a dente and drain.  These should be ready about the same time as the cabbage.  Once drained, add the noodles to the cooked cabbage (here's where I like to sprinkle in the poppy seeds) and stir gently until all mixed up.  Set aside for about 5 minutes before serving.  This goes with anything!  Great with fried chicken, pork chops, sausage, really anything you would want I guess.  I had it for supper tonight with a ham steak and raisin sauce.  I have taken it to church pot lucks and it reheats great the next day for leftovers.

I am so late tonight because I let my dog in and the smell of smoke outside takes your breath away.  I called my neighbor across the street and she said the same thing.  After these past 10 days with 2 huge fires it makes you leery when you smell smoke!  It definitely wasn't a BBQ kinda smell it was something burning.  I will stay up a bit longer to just make sure.  I hope you enjoy this recipe and give it a try also, it can be made into a big dish or just a small dish.  If you wanted to use only a quarter of the cabbage for a couple of people then just adjust your noodles.  Practice makes perfect.  I prefer mine 50/50, so for a half a bag of noodles I use 1/2 of a head of cabbage. The amount of butter and oil is what I made my 50/50 with.






Happy cooking my friends...and as you can tell I am not very good with the pictures, but hang in there I'm working on it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment