Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquakes and Fires...

Woke up this morning to devastating news about the 8.9 quake that rocked Japan.  What a tragedy and as the morning unfolded we saw all of the terror in the streets.  Those poor people must be so frightened!  They can't leave because there's no airports that are operating and they keep having aftershocks of 6.1 and even higher.  I can't imagine what it must be like to be over there.  I just pray that God will protect them and that they reach out to Him for their needs.

We had a small quake here in out little town this morning, too.  It was 3.1 I think.  It made a loud boom and I thought to myself man, "what was that sound?" and said to myself, "was that an earthquake?"  Sure enough it was on the news later that a small quake had hit Harrah!!  I wonder if it had anything to do with the one that hit Japan?

I drank my coffee and continued to watch the news and then headed off to work cleaning for Ethel.  At about 12:30 my friend Trina called my cell.  I saw it, but thought I'll just call her when I'm done.  About 5 minutes later she called again and I thought I better answer it.  Good thing I listened to my instincts!  She said was a wildfire behind my house!  I wasn't sure what to do.  She put Lucky on the phone who is my neighbor and he said he would take a drive down to the back of the property and see if it was spreading.  He called back and said for the moment it looked like it was gonna go east and that we should be okay.  I called David and he said the radio had said that there were several fires in our area and they were spreading really quick and he was heading home just in case.

As we watched the news they said there were 24 large wildfires all at the same time in Oklahoma!  That has to be a record.  There were homes all around us that were engulfed in flames. I'm so grateful that our home wasn't damaged.  A friend of mine her grandfather's house burned down and saw on Facebook where others family members homes were lost:(  Sad day for Oklahomans.

My heart is filled with prayers and hope for the people of Japan. I am off to bed it truly has been a very stressful day...

1 comment:

  1. A very sad day indeed Brenda. I hope they have been able to put out the fires in your area.

    ReplyDelete