Friday, March 25, 2011

Cake, Anyone?...

Well, it's Friday morning and I am heading to OKC.  Friday is our date night.  I always look so forward to it, too.  We are staying home tonight, but I am going to make my husband a chocolate cake for dessert when I get home.  As a child we always had Mayonnaise cake actually didn't really know there was any other kind!  Our vanilla cakes were from a box, but the chocolate was always made from scratch.  I have tried a couple of different kinds, but the following is the one I have made for years.  I am sure your family probably has their favorite, too.

I love cake and cupcakes! Tomorrow I will post my favorite my favorite cupcake recipe.  Even though I use a box mix for it I am sure this mayonnaise cake recipe would work just as well.  I have so many frostings that I like, but my favorite is peanut butter.  It is fluffy and it is my preference for this cake.  A good ol' never fail chocolate buttercream is delicious, too.  I love the one that is on the side of the Hershey's cocoa container!  In the photo I posted that is the buttercream with some chocolate dipped strawberries and some broken chocolate.  Regardless, it's chocolate how can you go wrong?  So here's the recipe, oh, and if your wondering about the coffee to me it just intensifies the chocolate flavor.  No extra buzz or anything like that...

Mayonnaise Cake

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
6 TBSP cocoa (I prefer Hersheys)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup mayonnaise (I only use Hellmans)
1 cup cold brewed coffee
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare your pans (13 x 9 or two round cake pans) I like to parchment at the bottom even if I use flour or Pam.  In bowl mix whisk the flour, sugar cocoa, salt and soda.  Set aside.  In a mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise with the coffee and vanilla.  Blend well.  Add the dry ingredients gradually and scrape down sides as you go.  Pour into prepared pan or pans.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes keeping an eye on it.  If you over bake it, it will be dry and that will mean you just have to drink more milk with it!!

When cool top with your favorite frosting.  I know what I'll be using how about you?...

1 comment:

  1. This cake is to die for I love it and NOTHING is going to keep me from learning how to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete