Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturday Afternoon Delight . . .

I loved that song "Afternoon Delight"!  I think that was the name of it.  Don't know who sang it or anything, but I do still hear it every once in awhile.  Guess I will have to do some investigating!  It's funny to me how some songs bring back or jar our memories of a certain day or an occasion.  Does this ever happen to you?  I hear songs and sometimes they immediately take me back to that very moment on what I was doing.  Some are good memories and others...well, not so good.  Hmmm, now I that wrote this all sorts of songs are coming to mind that reminded me of people or what I was doing!  Boy, minds are strange things aren't they!

My husband and I had so much fun today!  We went to town to run some errands, ate some mexican food, bought 2 new truck tires and I bought myself a new hummingbird feeder.  It is not that we really did anything at all it just fun being together I guess!  He made me laugh and I made him laugh and I'm still smiling.  I have to get on the internet and look up the ratio for the sugar water for the hummingbirds.  I saw one out there the other day and he didn't stick around because he didn't see a feeder.  I sure hope he comes back soon.  My husband tried to convince me to get one that looked like a strawberry, but I won and got the one I wanted!  It is more girlie looking!  He said they really don't care what it looks like I told him I totally disagree!

For my "afternoon delight" I made a Grilled Skirt Steak with a Mango Salsa.  Goodness, it was so tasty!  I know a lot of people won't even attempt to make skirt steak because they feel it is too tough.  It is not that the meat is tough you just have to remember to cut it against the grain.  I like to make this dish because it is quick and easy.  Gosh, it cooks in about 10 minutes!!  It takes me longer to get the fire going than it does to cook the actual piece of meat.  You can do this in your home too on a cast iron grill if you have one and don't feel like getting the BBQ going.  You just won't have the smoke taste, but it will still taste really good.  I went to the market the other day and they had mangoes 5 for a dollar!!  I bought 10 of them.  I love them in my fruit shakes I make in the morning for breakfast or I just peel them and throw them in my salads, too.  I love mangoes especially when they are fresh.  The jar kind will work in a pinch like during the winter months, but when they are available I buy the fresh ones.  That darn seed, though.  What was God thinking?  It is the most annoying thing to work around.  I know Williams and Sonoma have a mango tool that deseeds the fruit, but I am leery about purchasing one, because I just don't think the seed is always in the same place.  Look at one the next time you're in the grocery store they are all different shapes.  It's not like an avocado or something.  Oh, well, maybe I will break down and buy one one of these days.

The mango salsa can be made as hot as you like it, too.  I like mine hot, but not so hot that it takes my breath away and then I can't taste the rest of my meal.  My son on the other hand I can't make anything hot enough for him!  I hope you enjoy this one. . .

Grilled Skirt Steak

1 Skirt Steak
1 cup teriyaki sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup hoisin sauce

Mix the sauce ingredients in small bowl until mixed.  Place steak in gallon size baggie and pour marinade over the meat.  Press out all the air and seal.  Rub the baggie with your hands like your giving it a massage on both sides and then place in refrigerator.  Let rest for at least 6 hours or overnight.  When ready to cook,  remove and discard marinade.  Place on hot coals and cook about 5 minutes on each side.  When cooked to your liking remove and place on cutting board cover with foil and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.  Remove foil and slice steak against the grain and serve with mango salsa rolled up in a flour tortilla.

Mango Salsa

4 mangoes diced (or however much you want to make)
1 red, green or orange bell pepper diced
1 jalapeno diced (or more if you want)
1 medium onion sliced thin and chopped
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Place the fruit on a large bowl.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir.  I leave mine out and serve it at room temperature the flavor is just magnified when it is warm.  Serve this on top of the grilled steak wrapped in a flour tortilla.  Enjoy. . .


This salsa is also great on salmon, too!!  Give that a try sometime as well . . .Bon Appetite

No comments:

Post a Comment