Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Dressed Up Breast...

I kid you not!  By the time you finish with the layers in this dish your naked chicken breast will be dressed.  Oh, and it will taste pretty good, too.  It has spinach in it and I just know some of you are already probably turning your noses at that part.  Spinach is soooo good for you!  I bet we could live on spinach alone if we had to and never gain weight or probably wouldn't get sick either.  Now let me set the record straight though.  I LOATHE canned spinach.  If I only had that to eat I would be one really skinny chick because I just can't bring myself to do it!  Nope, not a chance.  It just ain't happenin'!  That stuff is horrible and then people not only eat that stuff they pour vinegar on top of it.  Oh, I have to change the subject I feel dry heaves coming on...




Back to the good stuff!  The few ingredients in this recipe make it a snap for a really quick and healthy meal.  Be sure not to faint when you see the price of the cheese, though.  It is a gourmet cheese after all!  Your friends will think you're a five star chef!  It is a pretty dish when served, too.  I usually serve it on top of a bed of rice pilaf when I have company over.  It is a pretty presentation.  Hope you enjoy it...

Dressed Up Chicken

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
fresh baby spinach leaves
deli sliced smoked ham (I use Hillshire Farms in those little tubs at the deli)
gruyere cheese (grated not fine, though)
butter
olive oil
salt and pepper

Place chicken breasts in a large baggie and using a mallet pound until breasts are thin.  Remove and continue until all chicken has been pounded thin.  In frying pan add 2 TBSP butter and a couple of swirls around the pan with olive oil.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  When butter and oil are hot,  place chicken breasts in and allow to cook until browned and then flip to other side.  It will almost  be cooked all the way through at this point.  Add the baby spinach in a layer on each piece of chicken and top with a few slices of the ham.  Mound up the gruyere on top of the ham approximately 2 to 3 TBSP on each one.  Press down a little bit and place under the broiler and allow to melt watching it closely.  When cheese has melted remove from broiler and allow to rest for about 5 before plating.  Serve with rice and a salad...oh, and maybe some crusty bread to soak up all those good juices with!!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmmm .... gonna have to try this one for the family and see what they think about this one. :) Thank yea again Ms. Brenda. Loving the BLOG!!!!

    ReplyDelete