Monday, May 9, 2011

Not Sure About Green Eggs, But I Am Sure About Green Rice...


My Auntie Pat Cantrell gave me this recipe.  It is my families favorite rice recipe.  And once you make it for your family I am quite certain it will become their favorite as well.  Boy, I sound pretty certain, don't I?  It is just so yummy I can't wait for you to give it a try.  It is a side dish that goes with everything!  I even had it leftover for my lunch today.  Everything is mixed in the same dish you bake it in.  How easy is that? Plus, it turns out perfect and fluffy every time!!

I loved my Aunt Pat so much and so did my husband.  She passed away in January after a fall and bumping her head.  She slipped into a coma and never woke up.  She touched my life in such a special way.  One thing I am certain of,  and that is, she knew I loved her!!  She spoke her peace on whatever she wanted to.  if you didn't like it, oh, well, too darn bad.  She was so very kind and giving.  We talked about anything and everything.  I was always calling her when I needed to get something off of my chest or just to chat for a couple of hours.  I am truly blessed to have had in my life for these few years and I miss her so very much...

So I hope you try this recipe and like it of course!  Every time I make it I think of my Auntie Pat...maybe that's why I like it so much.  Remember girls these are "secret family recipes", ha!


My Auntie Pat's Green Rice

3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (use some of the tops too)
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 cup uncooked Uncle Ben's Long Grain rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1tsp dried parsley

Add all ingredients in a 2 quart casserole dish and mix well.  Cover with a lid or foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes without lifting the foil.  Remove from oven and check with a fork to see if all the broth has been absorbed.  If not return foil and place back in oven for another 7 to 8 minutes.  When done remove from oven and let sit covered for about 5 minutes before serving.  Fluff with a fork and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment