Thursday, September 8, 2011

Are Vacations Really Ever Over . . .

I suppose they are to some extent.  My thoughts on this subject are, if you enjoy doing what you do everyday it can be a vacation!  I try not to let the world control my moves.  You know the economy, TV, other interests, I just do what I have to do daily and don't worry about other things.  Therefore, my thoughts and actions are for that very moment.  If it is just relaxing by the pool, a walk to the pond, reading a new cookbook or simply swinging on my front porch it is "my" vacation from the world I guess you could say. I know you have those same moments you may just look at them differently.  I also try to make the best of a situation even if it is a bad one.  There is always that rainbow that comes through at the end!! My friend Trina said, "You haven't posted anything in a while."  I told her I was on "vacation" . . .

I find so much relief from the everyday grind in my kitchen!!  Whether it's cooking for my family or a friend or I just feel like it . . . it's relaxing to me.  I have a friend, oh, my gosh, cooking scares her!!  To me its never a challenge because if you mess it up big deal you just start all over.  I love my friends reasoning, "if it can't microwaved or come in a box they don't eat it!"  Every time I think of her saying that it cracks me up.  If I served my family something from a box they would leave home!  Hmmm . . .

Last night for supper I made my hubby's favorite . . . chicken fried steak, milk gravy and red skinned mashed potatoes.  And let me tell you that man can eat!!  My sweet daughter-in-law says it's the best!!  Every southern cook I know has made this dish and every one has their own family recipe. The following recipe is my own and do feel free to add your own touch to this.  There's no right way to do this . . . it is just the way your family likes it and that is what is important.

I use cube steak, because it is cheap and always tender and that makes a great chicken fried steak.  Why make it if you can't chew the darn thing!!  After all it is meant to be savored and enjoyed.  I prefer minimal ingredients just kosher salt, coarse black pepper and garlic powder.  I take the meat out of the refrigerator (this time I cut them into steak fingers), place it on wax paper, season it on both sides and let it sit out on the countertop about 45 minutes before frying it.  Don't let the resting amount of time scare you I've cooked it for years and yet to have harmed anyone!!

Do you have a cast iron skillet?  If not, goodness, you need to run out and find you one real quick!  I couldn't live without mine.  They make the best fried chicken, pork chops, cornbread, man, the list goes on and on!  I even bake my pineapple upside cake in one.  But if you don't have one your regular frying pan will work.

Okay, here's what I do.  I put my flour in a dish and then in another dish I beat 2 or 3 eggs and set them side beside.  Once I have checked the grease to see if it is hot enough (you should hear a sizzle when you drop a pinch of flour in it) I then begin adding the meat.  First, I dip it in flour and coat well, then the egg and then back into the flour mixture.  At this point gently, so you don't get splashed on with grease, place the meat into the frying pan.  I generally don't add to many pieces at a time so it doesn't get crowded.  This also allows for even cook time.  Don't flip the meat over until you can see that it has really browned on the edges.  Once, this batch is done I move them to a pan that has a cooling rack (the kind you use for cookies) and place them into in a 200 degree oven while the remainder cooks.

While the meat is frying up I have the potatoes going as well!  I love red skinned mashed potatoes.  I only use butter and salt and pepper . . . never milk!  I know a lot of people use milk, but I never have.  I cook them until they are very fork tender.  I drain them and add my butter, again, you add as much as you want, and the same goes for the salt and pepper.  There's no secret recipe, it's just what you and your family like.  I never ever use a mixer to mash potatoes.  I guess I like the lumps!!  I use a hand potato masher.  I can't tell you  how many I have gone through in my lifetime.  Once I have them mashed I just set them aside covered.

Oh, man, the gravy!!  All I can say is if you are a beginner at making gravy it will be hit or miss.  I sure wish I could say add 1 cup of this and a half a cup of that and be done with it, but gravy doesn't work that way:(  Please never give up!!  It will happen for you just like it did for all of us ol' timers.  Trust me keep trying and you will soon be a gravy master!!  Okay, I'll try to explain it the best way I know how.  Once, the steak has all been cooked, drain off all, but maybe 1/3 cup of the grease.  Place back on the burner and heat it up.  Once it is hot add some flour (here's where you will have to use your own judgement) you want it to soak up the grease, but you don't want a paste.  Stir it around and if you feel you need to add a bit more do so at this point not later.  Season it with salt and a lot of coarse ground black pepper.  Maybe by looking at the photos below you can see what I am talking about.  Allow this to cook until it has some color to it or else it will just taste very floury and you don't want that.  And there's no going back sad to say . . .

I use only can milk for my gravy, but again here's where you use what you want, too.  I will tell you though, skim milk (which is all I drink) makes horrible gravy.  You can use whole milk and that would certainly work, but skim, no thanks I'd have to pass on that one.  So for one can of Carnation milk I add one can of water.  I have this prepared in a bowl and then I just slowly add it to my roux once it has reached the color I am looking for.  Allow this to cook for about three minutes before taste testing.  At this point and time I  taste it and see if it needs more salt or pepper.  It will begin to thicken quickly and if you have added too much flour, slowly, add more milk to reach your desired consistency.  That is why you pour slowly and stir at the same time.  You may or may not need all of the milk that you had prepared earlier.  If you do add too much milk I would just let it keep cooking until it has cooked down some.  And wah-lah you have gravy . . .












To serve I pile up the mashed potatoes in the center of my platter, ladle some of the gravy on top and stack my steak fingers around the edges for presentation.  Serve a bowl of gravy on the side for dipping that delicious steak in, too!!  I sure hope making gravy doesn't scare anyone it is really easy!!!  Well, trust me back in the day I was scared, too . . . Enjoy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment