Monday, September 19, 2011

What a Weekend . . .

We as a family had so stinking much fun.  I went and had lunch with my favorite little guy on Saturday at Whataburger and the whole time we talked about all the fun we had had the night before at the fair.  We took just him on Friday because it was cool and drizzly out and just thought it would have been too much for Kennedi.  The place was really sparse with people.  Which when it came to riding the rides was wonderful because he was able to get off and get right back on!!  He rode some of the rides probably 10 times at least.  It is so much joy just watching the excitement on his face getting on and off the rides.  If he had been just a tad taller he could have ridden some other ones, but next year will be a different story . . .

On Sunday after church we came back home and picked up Candi and the baby and then met Tyler and the Winners' at the fair.  And it all started again!  He was just so happy to be there.  I do remember as a child when our county fairs came to town what a big deal that was.  We never had a lot of money so some years my brother and I got to go and some years we didn't.  Once we got there I don't think he was too happy to have to stand in line this time, though :(  It was a gorgeous sunny day and there were thousands of people out with their families.  All in all it was a fun, fun day and I can't wait until next year to be able to do it all over again!!

The smell of the food at the fair is just indescribable!  Everything smells so wonderful you just want a bite of everything!  I only had a couple of things this year and didn't  try anything new.  They did have okra this year which was a nice treat.  The difficulty for me is in the choosing on what to have.  I actually went with a hotdog and I also had a corn dog.  My stomach is really messed up today for some reason and I wonder if it is because of the food.  I don't eat like that at home and I think my insides are telling me not to do it again.  I hate this feeling . . .

So, on a happier note, last weekend my hubby needed just a quick snack.  I went and investigated what I had in the fridge and came up with my Artichoke Flatbread!  It would great while watching a movie, playing a game or just to nibble on while curled up with your favorite book.  It's super simple and can be made in a jiffy.

Artichoke Chicken on Flatbread

1 Flatbread
3/4 diced chicken  (*see note below)
3/4 cup alfredo sauce (or more if you want)
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup diced artichoke hearts
2 tbsp. minced pepperoncinis
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
a pinch of red pepper flakes

*For the chicken I have used frozen fajita meat or the roasted chicken that you buy at the deli.  You could also just use a chicken breast that you have cooked at home yourself

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place your pizza stone in the oven for heat up.  Take out a flatbread and lay it on your cookie sheet.  I make my own alfredo sauce before I prepare this (takes about 5 minutes to make).  I have posted the sauce recipe on another blog and it is so worth making your own!  The taste is no comparison to the jarred stuff.  Drain the artichokes and dice them into small bite size pieces.  Do the same to the chicken.  Drain the juice from the olives and set aside.

Once it is ready to be assembled layer the alfredo sauce, the chicken, the artichokes, the peppers and the olives.  Cover with the cheese and sprinkle on the seasoning to your liking.  Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil if you want (I do!) and then carefully slide from pan onto the hot pizza stone and let cook for only about 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese has melted. If you do not have a pizza stone your cookie sheet will work.  I think I may have mentioned this before, but if you do not have a pizza stone they are a wonderful investment!!  It can be used for so many things.  Enjoy . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment