Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fall, Fall, I Love The Fall . . .

It's my favorite time of the year!  I love the changing of the cooler weather to the changing of the leaves.  To me there's nothing beats a big 'ol pot of something simmering on the stove and steaming up all of my windows.  It just gives me such a feeling of HOME!  I love being home so much that really there's no place I'd rather be!  I enjoy going on a short vacation, too, don't get me wrong, but as Dorothy would say there's no place like home, that's for sure.

I am so very fortunate to be able to stay home with my precocious little granddaughter, Kennedi!  She makes me smile from ear to ear everyday!  Her laughter, just her sweet lil' spirit and her needs make me feel so blessed to be able to nurture her and to love her!!  I always tell my friends who don't have grandkids that I just don't know where that kind of love comes from.  It's truly amazing and is just something you have to experience for yourself.  I pray for all moms to become grandparents one day!!  But, I do know grandparents who are not thrilled at all with the idea of having their grands around.  Not sure how they got to that stance, but I am so happy that my God has blessed me beyond anything I could have ever imagined with my grandkids.  I used to wonder why I only two and then it's like God spoke to my heart one day and said, " some will never have any".  And from that day forward I have never felt the need to have anymore. If I do they will certainly we welcomed, but for now I am content with the two that I have!

Fall also brings those wonderful fairs, pumpkin patches and Halloween . . . Do you see where I am going with all of this?  It's right back to the kids and home again.  It's just weeks of memories and hot chocolate and long walks in the pasture.  I asked my grandson the other day that when he's older what's the one thing he thinks he'll remember about coming to gigi and papa's house.  He said, "all the fun".  That's what home is . . .  a place where you can have fun!  I told him what about the smells.  He immediately knew what I was talking about and said, "oh, yeah, it always smells like somethings cooking!"  What joy that brought to my heart!  Almost everyday when my daughter-in-law comes in the door the first thing she says is, "Oh, my gosh, it smells so good in here!"

I guess the legacy I want to leave for my family is my cooking.  Not sure if a legacy can be food, but I am going to say it anyways.  So many of our favorite memories have been shared over a meal.  We eat all of our suppers at the table with no TV and we just discuss what we did that day or any thing we want too.  It is my favorite time of the day!!  Sometimes there's laughs and sometimes it is even quiet, yes, quiet!!  Kennedi usually has something to say though, especially if her papa is joinng us!

I found out last night that she loves pork roast and gravy.  Man, she ate quite a chunk!  I was definitely impressed.  I haven't had pork roast in quite awhile so I decided to throw one on yesterday while she was napping.  I have no idea how she slept through with the smell of those onions browning for that delicious gravy.  I served it over rice and had roasted asparagus with it.  Now the asparagus was a different story!  She did eat the crunchy part of the tops, but didn't like the stalk part.  I think it was just hard for her to chew that's all.  She did manage to lick the salt off, ha!

This recipe is very simple and is made all in one pot.  When you see the chicken broth don't fret, it just gives it added flavor.  It is super simple and I hope you will be serving it up to your family in the near future.  If you have a favorite and would like to share it I certainly would like to try it, too . . .

Pork Roast and Gravy

2# pork roast
1 large carton of Swanson chicken broth
2 cups of water
1 medium onion diced
1 tbsp. dried parsley
salt & pepper to taste

In a heavy dutch oven heat about 1/3 cup of oil.  Season the roast with salt and pepper and then roll in flour to coat all sides.  Once the oil has been heated carefully place roast in and brown on all sides.  Once it has browned remove to a plate.  At this time if you need more oil for browning the onions add a tad more.
Add the onions and cook stirring often until they are browned.  Once they have browned add about 2 tbsp. of flour to the mixture and cook the roux until it has turned slightly brown this usually takes about 5 minutes or so.  Add the broth and the water whisk until well blended.  Allow to cook over low heat for about 2 1/2 hours or until fork tender.  During cooking process flip the roast with tongs to keep it from sticking and this will also allow even cooking.  Once it is done I leave it sitting in the pot until ready to serve.  It can be reheated very easily.  To serve it I slice it into 1/2 thick slices plate it and then pour the gravy over it.  This great for mashed potatoes, but our family favorite is serving it over white rice!  I hope you enjoy it . . .

1 comment: