Sunday, September 11, 2011

What's Your Favorite Soup? . . .

Well, I have several, but in my top 3 is definitely Beefy Tomato Macaroni.  My whole family loves it and I make it probably three or four times a year.  It is so simple and can be made in less than a couple of hours.  I have also used ground turkey and it turns out wonderful for all of those health conscious cooks out there.

I just love the simplicity of soup, the health benefits and the aroma that engulfs every square inch of your home as it simmers all day.  Maybe it is an old wives tale, but I do believe that a bowl of homemade soup helps you feel better when your ailing.  I don't remember my mom making too many soups.  I know she made a beef soup and chicken noodle soup, but that's it.  I have several soups that I make and I am also one who makes the year round.  My Aunt Pat, who sadly is no longer with us, was the same way.  We both agreed that if you want chicken and dumplins' and it's 100 degrees out . . . make it!!  I do the same with chili.  Who says it has to be cold to have a bowl!

This soup is great for game day if you are having friends or family over.  I serve it with homemade bread, corn muffins and just plain ol' bread and butter.  My recipe is plain and simple, but you doctor your soup up anyway you want, too.  So what is your favorite soup? . . .

Beefy Tomato Macaroni Soup

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef or turkey
1 (28 oz. can) Hunt's Diced Tomatoes (do not drain)
3 of the (28 oz. can) of water
1 large onion diced
3 heaping tbsp. beef bouillon
1 tbsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. garlic powder
pasta of your choice (I prefer lg. elbow or noodles)
1 tbsp. butter
salt and pepper to taste


In a dutch oven brown the meat until well done along with the onion.  Season with the garlic powder and the salt and pepper.  When good and brown add the tomatoes and the three cans of water.  Sprinkle the bouillon in and stir until dissolved.  Add the parsley and allow to cook for about  hour on medium to medium low heat. After about 30 minutes taste and make sure your seasoning is good if not add more salt or whatever you may need.  After the fire has been turned off add the tbsp. of butter and allow to melt without stirring.  Let's just say it's the icing on the cake!!  Before serving give it a quick stir to blend it in.  Just adds such nice flavor to the soup.

When soup is ready, bring some salted water to a boil.  I do not cook the noodles or the macaroni in the soup because it will completely change the flavor of the soup with the starch that cooks out of the pasta.  Once the pasta is done, drain it and add it to individual serving bowls or add it to the soup itself.  Be aware though, if you add it all to the soup and it is not being eaten at that setting it will soak up a lot of juice and when you reheat it the very next day there won't be much juice.  I always add it to individual bowls and then if I need more pasta the next day I just follow the same process.

No comments:

Post a Comment